Good morning on this overcast Sunday here in Mt. Vernon, Ohio. Thank goodness, we had a good rain on Saturday and it dropped the temperature about 8*'s. Since it has been so stifling hot most of this, week I am going to share 2 cold salad recipes to help you cool off.
Old Fashioned Potato Salad
This is a mix between my Mom's all day fixing potato salad and my best friend, Kevin’s, Mom, Ernie's Potato Salad.
Single batch: can be doubled, tripled... (I made 1 batch to serve 100 for a reunion)
1 can diced potatoes, rinsed well and drain well (sieve for a bit then turn onto paper towel to remove more of the liquid
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped (I like more, so I add more)
1 - 3 Tablespoons of SWEET relish
Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup each celery, onion, carrots, radishes and any other dry fresh vegetable, chopped finely
1/2 - 1 1/2 cups Hellman's Mayo
1 - 3 Tablespoons of yellow mustard Combine Hellmans and mustard, taste and adjust flavor now. Pour over the salad mix and combine gently. Should be a creamy potato salad. Cover and chill before serving.
Asian Salad (Chicken Ramen Noodle Salad)
2 -3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts, cold and cubed
1 head cabbage, shredded or chopped (about 10 cups)
1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
1 head cabbage, shredded or chopped (about 10 cups)
1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
2 cups carrots, match stick
1 cup slivered almonds
3 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 packages Chicken Flavor Ramen Noodles, use seasoning in dressing
3 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 packages Chicken Flavor Ramen Noodles, use seasoning in dressing
3 tablespoons oil
Dressing, prepare and set aside
3/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
Dressing, prepare and set aside
3/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon pepper
2 packets of the Ramen flavor packets
Mash
noodles and brown over medium heat in the 3 Tbsp. oil, THEN add almonds
(earlier will burn the almonds. When a dark brown, remove and set
aside. Combine cabbage, onions, chicken and sunflower seeds in a large
bowl. Divide in half and add 1/2 of the noodle mix. Save remaining noodle mix, salad mix,1/2 of the salad dressing in plastic bag or container for later use to keep noodles crunchy.
***If you are one of those who likes more dressing, I would recommend making 1/2 batch of extra dressing. If you plan on eating this left over, keep in mind that the noodles will not stay crunchy.
***When I make this to take to work, I add the noodle mix and dressing just before I eat it.***If you are one of those who likes more dressing, I would recommend making 1/2 batch of extra dressing. If you plan on eating this left over, keep in mind that the noodles will not stay crunchy.
These are 2
of my favorite salads. I fixed potato salad on Friday night with BBQ
pork ribs for our dinner. I'll add the homemade BBQ in a week or so when
this batch is used up. Got many compliments on it at our family reunion
last Saturday!
No comments:
Post a Comment