Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Yummy Homemade Ketchup, BBQ Sauce, Sweet Relish and Apple Butter

Hey,do you know what day is????? It's HUMP DAY! Thought I would add my favorite canning recipes... Ketchup, BBQ Sauce and Sweet Relish! I have been making my own condiments for years! The ketchup is sweet like Heinz, the BBQ is similar to Sweet Baby Ray's, the relish is just plain, darn good and yummy Apple Butter.  All 4 are simple to make and preserve.

Karen's Ketchup
To make:                          2 pints         4 pints         8 pints
6 oz. Tomato Paste          2 cans          4 cans           8 cans
Brown Sugar                    1/4 cup         1/2 cup          1 cup
Garlic Powder                  1 Tbsp.         2 Tbsp.         1/4 cup
Onion Powder                  1 Tbsp          2 Tbsp.         1/4 cup  

Allspice                             1/4 tsp.         1/2 tsp.          1 tsp.
Salt                                    1 tsp.             2 tsp.             4 tsp.
Water                                 2 1/2 cups    5 cups           10 cups
Bring to a boil while stirring with a whisk. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 15 - minutes or thickened to your desire. Pour into hot jars, wipe jar tops, lid and ring it. Hot water bath for 10 minutes to seal.

Karen's BBQ Sauce
To make:                              2 pints           4 pints           8 pints
Ketchup recipe above         1x                    4x                    8x   
Do not cook this, just use approprate size pan. You can use cheap ketchup from the grocery store. 
Brown Sugar                        1 1/2 cup        3 cups             6 cups
Worcestershire Sauce        1 Tbsp.          2 Tbsp.            1/4 cup                   
Mustard                                 1 Tbsp.          2 Tbsp.            1/4 cup
Allspice                                 2 tsp.             4 tsp.                8 tsp.
Salt                                        2 tsp.             4 tsp.                8 tsp.
Pepper                                  1 tsp.             2 tsp.                1 tsp.
Cider Vinegar                       to taste         to taste              to taste
Stir well, taste and add vinegar, 1 tsp. at a time until you reach the tangy flavor you like. If you like smokey flavor, add liquid smoke to taste...be careful as it is potent! Cook over medium to a boil and then reduce and stir once in a while and cook down to your desired thickness. Pour into hot jars, wipe jar tops, lid and ring it. Hot water bath for 10 minutes to seal.

Karen's Sweet Relish
I use my food processor to chop everything fine, a hand mill will produce the same effect with more work!
8 cups onion (I prefer sweet onions), processed
8 cups cabbage, processed
8 cups green tomatoes cored and then processed
12 green peppers, seeds removed and then processed
6 red peppers, seeds removed and then processed
Pour into a large plastic container and ass 1 cup Salt (I use Sea Salt). Cover and set out overnight. Drain and rinse well and drain again. In a very LARGE pan or stock pan, pour in relish and add:
2 Tbsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. Turmeric (very YELLOW, so do not get it on your clothes!)
4 Tbsp. Mustard Seeds
4 cups Water
8 cups Cider Vinegar, distilled or white vinegar will not produce the flavor!
12 cups Sugar (5 pounds)
Stir well and bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into HOT  
1/2 pint or pint jars, wipe jar tops, lid and ring it. Hot water bath for 15 minutes to seal.
My family loves this relish. I use pints for us and some 1/2 pints to give as gifts.

Easy Apple Butter 
I make this in a crock pot. Depending on what size crock you use, double or quadruple recipe. I also use 1/2 pint jars.  
Unsweetened         SINGLE  (2 1/2 cups)      DOUBLE  (5 cups)      QUADRUPLE (10 cups)
Applesauce                2 cups                                     4 cups                              8 cups
Sugar                          1/2 cup                                    1 cup                                2 cups
Cinnamon                  1 tsp.                                        2 tsp.                               4 tsp. 
Allspice                      1/4 tsp.                                    1/2 tsp.                             1 tsp.
Ginger                         pinch                                       1/4 tsp.                            1/2 tsp.       
Cloves                         pinch                                       1/4 tsp.                            1/2 tsp. 
Combine and bring to a boil for 1 minute while stirring. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 - 2  hours or to the desired thickness. Remove from heat and pour into HOT 1/2 pint or pint jars, wipe jar tops, lid and ring it. Hot water bath for 10 minutes to seal.


There you go, 4 great tried and true recipes for you to try. I have been giving home canned goods as Christmas Basket Gifts for many years. I also added homemade dry gifts like pancakes, deep dark hot chocolate, soups and dessert mixes. Plan ahead for Christmas gifts. I'll start the dry mixes in October and will have the baskets finished up, covered and ready to go, so no rushing around looking for last minute gifts. Most folks love the homemade items! For a couple, I add green beans in pints and other pint jar-ed items. Salsa is another great item! Got a secret sister to get for, try the deep dark hot chocolate mix with a couple of nice Christmas mugs from Dollar Tree. I'm full of great gifting ideas. If you need ideas or want recipes, just note on my blog page or send me an email to: ksingrey@columbus.rr.com. 

I think sharing recipes is the best thing. I claim the recipe to be MINE, if I make ANY changes to it. Imagine... a shared recipe from your girlfriend... you make it and then make a couple of changes... Don't tell everyone it's so and so's recipe. Tell them the original came from so and so, but with your added changes, it now is my recipe! Ever happen to you???? I had it happen at a church dinner when a friend made "my recipe" and made changes to it and claimed it was Karen's recipe. Uh Oh... it tasted very different from what I had given to her.

Have a great Wednesday and Bon Apetit!

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment