Saturday, August 31, 2013

Snacks and Appetizers

Today is the LAST day of August and I am off of work for a few days after having a stent put in my right femoral artery that had a 98% block! A shock to me as I had not warning signs!

Today I am sharing 4 good recipes, the 1st is a snack and the other 3 are appetizers. Enjoy!

Ants on a log
celery, peanut butter (or cream cheese or pimento cheese) and raisins (cranberries, chocolate chips - use your imagination. See the photo for how it's done:
 Bacon Roll Ups
1 can whole water chestnuts, drained
1/2 pound of bacon, halved 
1/4 cup brown sugar
Wrap each water chestnut with 1/2 slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Lay on a greased cookie sheet and sprinkle brown sugar over tops and bake at 400*, 8 - 10 minutes.

Glazed Ham Balls or Loaf
2 1/2 pound ground pork
3/4 pound ground smoked ham (may have to ask butcher to grind this one)
2 eggs
1 cup cracker crumbs
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
1 1/2 cup flaked cereal (Spec. K, corn flakes, Bran flakes...)
1 can Tomato Soup, divided
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 - 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
Mix meats, crackers, onion, cereal and 1/2 can of soup together. Make large meat balls and place in a greased baking dish, or form a loaf and place in greased pan. Combine remaining soup, brown sugar and JUST ENOUGH vinegar for a sweet and sour taste. Pour over meat and bake at 350* for 1 hour or for loaf, 1 1/2 hours.  
This is a very old family recipe from my Grandma Singrey's sis-in-law, Bessie Zolman.

Hot Crab Dip
2 packages crab meat (imitation is fine), chopped
2 packages of 8 ounce cream cheese
1 teaspoon - 2 Tablespoons horseradish
3 dashes hot sauce
a little salt
1/4 cup minced onion
Stir all together and heat through in a crock pot, or open cream cheese and place in a bowl, cover and microwave a few minutes until soft, stir in remaining and microwave until heated through. Great with Ritz or Club crackers. Leftovers?, Just reheat the next time. I always make this crab dip for parties and always when I catered parties.

 I think now I have this figured out. Some days you can teach this old broad something. All 4 of these recipes are easy to make. I often make the ham balls, cooking only enough for Chris and I and freeze the rest into small batches with the sauce in a small zippered bag. Bon Apetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment